My journal of life and those lives that surround & influence me, both positively & negatively

Wednesday, June 10

First Good Poem-Post Grad School

Since leaving grad school, not my choice, a year too early, I've been writing a lot of poetry again. Rather than hold it in, my feelings that is, I've decided to publish what I've been thinking about over the course of time that has passed. I welcome your remarks as always, but if you're a troll, I will ban you, mark my words; it will be done. In the future posts, I will be mixing it up a bit, featuring poems I wrote during grad school and post grad school. Here is, what I believe, the 1st good poem I have written, post grad school.


Character Actor

I am talking about burning bridges
Bridges I built and those about to come down.
My fault? Theirs.
I don’t know. I can’t feel them because living inside this glass house you can’t feel much, only see their lives as they let you.
That’s something I never try to do.
Try to do with purpose.
Honest, I didn’t mean it; it was an accident, a little voice rings in my ears
Good enough, let others do the burning if they must
Let themselves snap each other into two
Let them come crawling back, come crying out for you
Make them miss you
Make them beg you for mercy
Let them tell you they are sorry
Slipping inside and outside of character, that’s what traveling is for, the wise old man once said.
You can be what you want without batting an eye
You can be that fellow, girl and guy and wake up with a hangover and clap your hands
I think I need a change.
Like tires that have gone flat
I need a change before I become like that.


(written June 6, 2015)

No comments: