My journal of life and those lives that surround & influence me, both positively & negatively

Thursday, November 26

The Day I "Died..."

The day that you die is supposed to be the day that you are remembered in infamy. Your friends, family/relatives and enemies remember you fondly and only have good things to say about you---never bad.

The night I died according to Facebook was completely the opposite. It was mid-Wednesday evening April 1, 2015, I was cabbing it over to the Gallery Cabaret on Oakley, just off of Armitage in Chicago on my way to a Henchmen gig.

I was late coming from school-doing something, like I always did.

 Doing something. I talked to the cab driver about my art. Told him lots of stories. I remember him taking a different way there because traffic was blocked and for some reason he took the Eisenhower, got off at Western and took a straight shot over.

I’ve had my run-ins with cab drivers in 2015; like the cabbie in early March who nearly killed me in his cab driving over a median strip and into the northbound lanes thinking there were the southbound lanes. It was a wonder I was still alive. And then later, when we pulled up to the event I was headed to and hitting the man on the bike and only caring about his cab.

That was wicked.



It must have been about 7:30 in the evening when the cab pulled up to the club. I paid the driver and saw Dr. Nothing and Dennis The Menace out on the sidewalk. Said something to them that I can’t remember and headed inside with them. The Slurve was sitting at the bar.

The open mic was already in progress as I set my gear down and went to unpack the bingo box, the instruments and my costume. I said hello to the hostess who was donning a boring blond wig, because after all, it was April Fool’s Day and the one of the biggest fool in the Chicagoland area was moments away from disgracing the stage.

The rest of the Henchmen filed into the club. I greeted all of them. The poets were already there. Some I recognized and some I didn’t. Even saw the one I screwed one night and found out later she was married but was hot for teacher. 

Yeah, something like that.

On stage at that moment, was anarchist anti-Israeli poet Joffre Stewart. Crowing about it being “Sid Yiddish Day” and oh, who just happens to walk into the club and hears him saying it as if on cue? Moi. I just glared at him, knowing that he would do an anti-Israeli poem in my honor. And of course, that was the very next poem he recited, while I whispered to the host’s husband on how to film the band & I, as we performed the bingo game. I told him that I was going to “put him to work.”

After a long open mic, we were ready to perform. I sent the Henchmen up, to take positions, while I readied my own space and passed out the bingo cards, chips and set up the bingo cage and whispered more instructions to the host, but I knew things were already going to go wrong, as I told the crowd we were going to play “4 corner bingo” and someone else decided to play bingo the regular way and as we played on and the crowd got slightly unruly because someone else did it wrong and they all wanted to win and that’s how it goes when you play bingo. 

No one wants to lose and everyone wants a prize. To try and please everyone, we played a 2nd game and who should win, but Joffre Stewart. His prize? A genuine bar of Swiss chocolate marzipan from Copenhagen.

We do one a couple of more compositions and I decide to end it early because I wasn’t exactly sure on time. As I am packing up and collecting the bounty from generous supporters of our work, Dr. Nothing comes up to me and tells me “Sid, you’re dead.” I have no clue what he’s talking about and go back to packing up my gear, changing out of my costume and talking to the host and wiping the sweat off my face.

I get a ride home from the host’s sidekick, as he lives pretty close to me. I am tired, I say to him as I get settled into the car. The conversation is nothing special between him and I, in fact, it centers on my brother Louie, just like always after I ride with him. I don’t care really to talk about my brother Louie, because my brother Louie is a true asshole; someone I wouldn’t trust with my life even if I were dying, because he’d be the first one to ask for either my Saturn or my laptop or some other valuable material possession I now own.

And with a brother like that, who needs him?

I was pretty tired that night as I turned in. It already had been a difficult week in my life; bad critique at grad school, a canceled spring trip to New York City on top of canceling an important performance gig, which had stressed me out because the last time I canceled an important performance gig I was called “unprofessional” and I would never work in Kansas City again.
 
That’s somewhat true. I haven’t worked there since February 2014. Again, due to the unprofessionalism of my grad school department who didn’t bother to tell its students that the building was going to close that summer due to asbestos removal and only had a week to pack up all of their belongings and have them put into storage.

The same week I was supposed to go to Kansas City. Life isn’t fair but so it went.

I went to bed and thought nothing of it. It was spring break after all and I could sleep in that week.

When I awoke the next morning, I arose to such a clatter; I had 4 voicemails, several texts on my cell phone and a little over 200 notices on Facebook that had declared me dead.

The following posted note on my Facebook page started off the feeding frenzy, a little after 9pm central daylight savings time: “I am sorry and heart-crushed to announce the passing of Sid Yiddish. He collapsed upon ushering his most famous hand signal high E, whilst using audience participation in the game of bingo as a chance parameter to direct his conducting for the first time. He was pronounced dead when the paramedics arrived. Multi Kulti will host a gathering in his memory, details to follow.”

This post appeared on my friend Dr Nothing’s Facebook page. As I discovered later, his account was hacked into. Yes. Hacked. Even the tightest of ITT men can have their accounts hacked into.
In the sickening irony that followed, 19 friends of mine liked the post.

And that’s when the shit hit the fan.

Here are the actual posts that followed, minus the names.

Holy Shit!‬ This better be a Cruel April Fools Joke!

‬

Hoax?
‬
The world just lost some light.
 ‬
‪

‬



‬

I always figured I'd find out about his death on social media, and I'm His BROTHER!!!!!!


‪

‬

 Sounds like the onion headlines
.

Gosh, will he be alright?


Whatttttttttt? Are u serious? Damn I just asked u about him
.

‬

Were his last words "And I would be your leader!"  

He is all right. He is gone to heaven to be with god.

‬
This better not be an April Fool’s joke
! ‬
‪

‬



‬

Just at the hospital to view the remains. Though he appeared much as he did in life, family is still recommending a closed casket. he will be sorely missed, at least through the weekend, and depending upon the weather. Sid always considered me a very dear friend. At times I considered him as well.


And just earlier today he was alive and well debunking everyone's April Fool’s jokes... and now he is gone. He will be missed except on April 1st when he was a bit of a party pooper...


Wooowww.‬ I can't believe this!‬ So Sorry to Hear it happened....


‪‬

Oh man I am in shock and deeply saddened by this news...



‪‬

My brain cannot be alive, it is dead with the memory, and cannot go on
.


‪
Awwwwww I'm sorry to hear this. He was definitely an original. & will greatly missed.


He left this world doing what he loved like a total boss. this is the way he would have wanted it to be.



‪‬

Please tell me this is an April Fool's joke?


‪‬

What???
 I don't believe this shit though.


‪‬

 
I've texted a couple of friends and have not gotten any confirmation that this isn't an April Fool's joke. Being that neither one of them have come to this thread to assure us that this is not a joke has me suspicious
; alright, there’s a message here that is a give away that this is a joke. everyone read his post.
 There should be many people who could deny or confirm it. And for whatever it's worth now posts memorializing him on April 2nd.


‪‬

You had me until the hand signals!!



‪‬

Oh no. and I never got a chance to meet him and always wanted to.


So very sorry for the loss.

Okay, it's April 2nd now. What's the real story?


And that was just the start. Like a long drawn out drizzle, it continued.

What?? I thought at first this was a horrible April fools joke. If true.. RIP Sid Yiddish.I had just thought it had to be an April Fool’s joke. How sad. Don't know what happened. Crazee.

Jesus, I can't believe it. We had such a good time hanging out with him last summer. Check his page,  it's true. Well, there's no obituary or anything. Some fellow claims to have witnessed the whole thing, onstage; it's all very weird, which is why no one knows whether to actually believe it. Especially on April Fool's Day, but it's April 2 now, and where's Sid? I know a lot of his friends are comedians, and they seem to be congenitally incapable of serious discourse.

So sorry Sid...RIP
. ‬

And it continued. From bad to worse. A angry mob looking for blood.

Well fuck you very much for worrying people. Very fucking lousy and triggering prank.

Sid Yiddish is NOT dead. Very bad joke. NOT dead. Very bad joke.

And as the mopping up began and more remarks were made in the process, a pattern began to form and it was an odd pattern at that. There were the usual suspects in the mob; the reactionaries; the truth-seekers, the actual believers and the angry. And then there were those who never actually saw it and had no clue what had taken place.

In particular, there was one guy, whom I’ll deem as an acquaintance, who was so insistent on “my death” that he pushed pretty hard on reasons why, how and where only to discover through a mutual friend of ours, that this guy had staged his own death four years prior to this. It left me scratching my head and wondering, what the fuck!

And there were the ones who privately messaged me; I thought, now if I am dead, how am I supposed to answer their letters? It was enough that I had been off Facebook publicly since late January, 22, 2015 and rarely posted, save for a photo or a gig.

In the days that followed, after getting bullied and pushed around by others who were convinced that I staged my own death online, I ran into friends on campus who saw the post and there were those who didn’t see the post and embraced me as if I had truly died. 

An interesting side-note was that a Google search of my name two days after I supposedly died, turned up at least 54, 400 entries for me, 184,000 less than usual. It was quite evident that the my death put a quash on a lot of things and people.

In the months that followed, there were those who I had emailed about things and situational stuff that I wanted to resolve but for some reason or another, I couldn’t, most everyone said the same thing, “I thought you were dead!”

And then I discovered, quite by sheer accident or perhaps it was sheer coincidence, online in a conspiracy forum, what the name, Sid Yiddish truly stands for and that is:

S=Sid
I=Is
D=Dead
Y=Yiddish
I=Is
D=Dead
D=Dead
I=Is
S=Sid
H=Hoax

Why is it, in life, no one truly gives a shit about one or another’s well-being until it’s too late? Why is it that on Facebook that many people take situations and people for granted until it’s too late? Not reach across the aisle, the pond, the sea, the next city and make that concerted effort and say hello until it’s too late?

I say, do it now, before you miss out.


Put your differences aside. Stop being so sensitive. It’s not always about you. The world doesn’t revolve around you. Be more forgiving. Tell someone you love him or her. And everyday. Life is like a deck of cards, you never know when that Ace of Spades will be dealt. Do it now. 

Don’t wait until the moment is gone.

No comments: