My journal of life and those lives that surround & influence me, both positively & negatively

Sunday, May 8

Dear Mom: An Open Letter For Mother’s Day, Sunday, May 08, 2005

Dear Mom,

On radio, newspapers & the Internet (I specifically left TV out since I don’t watch it), the subliminal message machine has all been the same, Sunday, May 8 is Mother’s Day, so buy your mother a trinket that she’ll likely forget within three weeks time. Buy, buy, buy. Do it now!


Funny sort of thing about Mother’s Day, too, why do we even need a holiday to celebrate our mothers to begin with? Why not a holiday that celebrates our family instead?

I believe that a majority of people find their mother & father, brothers & sisters within their own lives, let alone go out and buy them a bit of materialism that is not necessarily, that will sit around and collect dust that in the long run, might be given away, trashed or perhaps sold on EBay.

Although I can’t speak for everyone, just me of course, I find bits and pieces of my own family in my own life everyday, from the moment I awake, to the moment I retire for bed each evening. If you cannot see it in my face, other than the most obvious looks part, i.e. “you look so much like your mother!” then you will find it in my actions, my personality or in the words I use or write everyday.

Besides, my family, brothers & parents & sister (whenever I hear from her, last time was about 10 years ago), don’t expect me to spend any money on them, in other words, they don’t want gifts from me. They are just happy enough to have me in their life & to receive a phone call or email as the case may happen to be, once in a while.

I do call my Mom & Dad about two or three times a week & that seems to be just fine with them. We talk about the usual stuff & I always read my blogs to my Mom since she has decided not to go forward into the 21st century & get a computer with Internet service like the majority of the world, but that’s alright with me.

She prefers the old-fashioned method of writing letters by hand & that’s just fine with me. I’m slightly out of practice with it, but once in a while I do write a letter to her. Writing letters by hand is an art. I used to do it a lot until the Internet came along and well, I stopped. In any case, Mom is a true artist in that sense.

Mostly though, I rely on telephone, because I like the immediateness of it all. It’s a quicker way of getting the message across, as opposed to a letter which could take up to a week to respond. My Mom’s okay with that too. She doesn’t mind the time it takes to arrive because in her mind, the love between mother & son will always be there, no matter with or without a telephone, Internet or other forms of communication.

Love is forever and always. Thanks for being a good Mom to me. Happy Mother’s Day, Mom!

Love,


The Mishegas Master

No comments: