My journal of life and those lives that surround & influence me, both positively & negatively

Thursday, April 7

Ding! Dong! Mouse Number 17 Is Dead! Long Live Mouse Number 17!

Mouse Number 17

I found Mouse Number 17
The one that chewed through my gabardine
Only weeks before the other ones
Rode upon my Mexican jumping beans
The week in February when it all began
I saw a little brown mouse shaving in a frying pan
Then alas it disappeared to tell the rest
The coast was clear, for a family of 17

The ringleader did appear
Its little face so full of cheer
As it herded the family into my place
A deluxe Waldorf rodent space
Fresh food, medicinal teas
Oh how clever it could be,
What brains it showed! Mouse Number 17

The plan was executed well
A mouse in every corner so I could tell
This would be no ordinary rodent terror cell
That would make my life a living hell
The sleepless nights I endured
Mouse pellets scattered like a breadcrumb trail
Shreds of paper mixed in along the way
The twitching of that little tail

So, I laid down mousetraps everywhere
Murdered eight in a single snare
That first weekend I had won
But the battle had just begun
So said the mastermind
Mouse Number 17
Soon, one by one, the family died
From cheese, peanut butter & Coca-Cola ® laced with cyanide
Eight more mice had taken the bait, but I knew only one remained
The one that hid inside the bathtub drain
The smartest of the bunch
The landlord of my terrain
The one that had caused so much pain
Just to frustrate me

It was a warm sunny April afternoon
When I came home to escape a work-day full of gloom
And there it lay, upon the kitchen floor
I stared at it to make sure it was dead
Not one blink did those beady pink eyes shed
The De-Con ® did its trick, as I swept it up with my broomstick
And sang an elegy as I threw it away, Mouse Number 17

No comments: