My journal of life and those lives that surround & influence me, both positively & negatively

Friday, September 4

Christmas Music To Be Heard!


As many of you have noticed by now, I don’t celebrate Christmas. I do however like one little aspect of it and that being the music that’s played toward the days leading up to the holiday itself.
As a result, over the years I have collected several pieces of music that are in some small way related to Christmas itself. Going through my audio cassettes and compact discs, I have a rather limited, but eclectic collection of Christmas music including artists and if someone were to make me a couple Christmas mix CDs (hint-hint Junior), I’d be most obliged!
I don’t have all the standard pieces of music like I should, but I do have some of the cooler stuff, like: Nat (King) Cole’s “The Christmas Song,” The Beatles: “Christmas Messages 1963-1969,” John Lennon & Yoko Ono’s “Happy Xmas: War Is Over (If You Want It), Paul McCartney’s “Wonderful Christmastime,” Judy Garland’s “Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas”/“Merry Christmas,” and Charlie Parker (and friends), “White Christmas.”
I can’t exactly remember how I got into collecting Christmas music to start with, but I think it had something to do with the novelty of a holiday, other than Halloween, which there are plenty of records out there to start with. There’s a whole market on holiday songs, but they only seem to be sold when the market is right or whenever the holiday approaches.
I seem to recall that several radio shows host holiday music programs, which is fine I guess, but I suppose it’s like dragging out the plastic fake Christmas tree along with the dull ornaments that are hung upon it and it gets so old after awhile.
Locally, we have two really cool radio stations that host special programs on or near Christmas Day, like “Blues Before Sunrise,” hosted by Steve Cushing and broadcast locally on WBEZ (91.5 on the FM dial) and syndicated by National Public Radio. Then there’s “Those Were The Days,” hosted by Chuck Schaden and broadcast locally on WDCB (90.9 on the FM dial). Schaden usually runs thematic programs, just as Cushing does and he does a fine job of it.
There are other programs I am sure, like syndicated shows on the weekends that will play Christmas music, both novelty and modern musicians of all genres and then there is at least one radio station in town, WLIT (93.9 FM) that plays nothing but Christmas music beginning after Thanksgiving, up to Christmas Day.
Even though I celebrate Hanukkah, which the music as far as modern stuff goes isn’t a whole lot to choose from, other than traditional stuff, although there’s been a movement afoot lately for new tunes, anyway, having said that, I think I’d still probably prefer Christmas music over other holiday music.
There are tons of novelty records too numerous to name, but I will tell you about at least two great Christmas albums you might consider owning. There’s this guy, late great guy named Harry “The Hipster” Gibson, who rose to fame in the 1940s with his novelty hit record, “Who Put The Benzedrine In Mrs. Murphy’s Ovaltine,” who back in 1976, put out a great Christmas album called “Harry “The Hipster” Digs Christmas, a real rollicking boogie-woogie pianist if there ever was a great pianist! The funniest cut on there is an original, called “I Wish My Mother-In-Law Don’t Visit Us This Christmas.”
Then there’s Spike Jones, who along with his City Slickers made buttloads of comedy records in the 1940s & 1950s, most notably, “Cocktails For Two,” and “William Tell Overture,” but back in the 1950s, he scored pretty solid with a hit called “All I Want For Christmas (Is My Two Front Teeth).” In 1956, Jones released a great, absolutely hysterical, yet serious, which seems hard to believe, but true Christmas album called “Let’s Sing A Song Of Christmas.” Perhaps the best cut on there is the version of “Jingle Bells” in pig latin! You have to hear it to believe it!
But, I’m digressing slightly, now where was I? Oh yeah! Continuing onward with a couple of great mix CDs I’d love to have, which would definitely have to include Allan Sherman’s “The Twelve Gifts Of Christmas,” a parody of the hymn “The 12 Days Of Christmas,” followed by Lord Buckley’s version of “Scrooge,” then “Beatnik’s Wish” by Patsy Raye and The Beatniks, followed by “7’O Clock News/Silent Night,” by Simon & Garfunkel, then Sun Ra’s “Happy Christmas,” the those crazy, annoying Singing Dogs version of “Jingle Bells,” followed by “I Yust Go Nuts At Christmas” by Yogi Yorgesson AKA Orion Samuelson, then a dose of Frank Sinatra, Jackie Allen & Judy Roberts & Vince Gauraldi.
Rounding out my listening pleasure, I’d like Tom Lehrer’s “A Christmas Carol,” followed by Tom Waits’ “Christmas Card From A Hooker In Minneapolis” and finally, the capper of all songs, “12 Days Of Xmas,” sung by none other than the late great blood-and-fecal and honorary mishegas master, GG Allin!
Now, I couldn’t think of a better way to treat my ears to some great, great music!

1 comment:

Scoats said...

Ugh. Wonderful Xmastime is the worst. Maybe the worst song ever. If anyone but an ex-Beatle released it, we would never have to hear it again. It's crappyness is epic.

Some of my faves are
Sting - I Saw Three Ships
Adam Arcuragi - The Christmas Song
Bob Dylan - Must Be Santa
Fountains of Wayne - The Man in the Santa Suit
Marcy Playground - Keegan's Christmas
Ella Fitzgerld - Have Yourself a Merry Little Xmas

I'm not familiar with much of your list at the bottom. Thanks for giving stuff to look for.


I can send you some awesome Xmas tunes if you'd like.