My journal of life and those lives that surround & influence me, both positively & negatively

Thursday, August 11

Jewish Lies: The American Jewish Committee’s "Paid Radio Advertisement" Scam


Every morning when I get up, take my morning shower and get ready for work, I listen to the news radio station (WBBM News Radio 780 AM, Chicago). News can be monotonous and rather boring as the continuous flow of news is repeated a few times within the half hour to hour that I’ve been listening to in and out of sleepy-land before I’ve actually arisen.

Anyway, there’s an "paid advertisement" that always is broadcast right after the opening segment of the (Charles) “Osgood File,” at 6:41 a.m., which is announced as “the following is a paid advertisement,” which is then followed by a man named David Harris of The American Jewish Committee, who often gives an account on the state of Israel, slight criticisms of Palestinians, issues dealing with Israel or something that might affect Israel in the coming months.

And this is the part that leaves me disappointed, not because it’s a supposedly “paid advertisement,” (it’s not) but because in reality it is really a political commentary hidden as a “paid advertisement.” I often wonder how many other folks listening in at that time of the morning notice it also.

David Harris has a smooth voice and calming effect, sort of like those annoying broadcasters on National Public Radio, but at least he’s not enunciating every other word like they do. On the other side of the political spectrum, I wonder why American Palestinian groups aren’t given the same kind of voice like the American Jewish Committee is given?

But I guess that’s not what I meant to say. My real question is this; why does the American Jewish Committee need to disguise the “paid advertisement” as such, when in reality it is a political commentary being delivered by David Harris, a representative of their organization?

I am pretty sure that the Federal Communications Commission has laws on the books stating clearly that if the advertisement smells, sounds or acts like a political commentary, therefore the “paid advertisement” as it is called, is in fact false advertising and should be fined accordingly. If not, then the issue certainly needs to be addressed.

God only knows how many disc jockeys and radio personalities the world over, have read radio commercial scripts designed as “happy talk” banter, when in reality it is disguised as a real commercial or an infomercial.

What’s the deal with all this bait and switch schemes anyway? If the radio commercial is a political advertisement or commentary, then it should be addressed as such; I mean why are they hiding behind this façade of lies?

It doesn’t make me hate the American Jewish Committee any less or admire them any more than I should, it’s rather that I really believe in the power of radio itself and the ideas behind it.

I guarantee you if the opposite standard such as an American Palestinian Committee were chiding or criticizing Israel through a “paid advertisement,” such as the one the American Jewish Committee runs, we’d hear about it from Jewish groups the world over, including the Anti-Defamation League, who prides themselves on pointing out hatred and any slight directed toward Jews.

So why do radio stations like WBBM News Radio 780 accept these façades? Because usually the dough smells good even if the content is crap and the advertising executives just see the dollar signs, even if the product is not what it says it is, this after they’ve taken the money and spent it.

How so very American & Jewish of them.

No comments: