My journal of life and those lives that surround & influence me, both positively & negatively

Friday, September 30

The Botox Frankenstein Poetry Series>Myth Of A Dream Omitted From A Good Humor Truck

Well again we've come to Friday, an easy and relaxed capper for me, which thankfully ended early for me yesterday, as I am travelling to one of the few universities I attended over 20 years ago! Reunions are so fun...sometimes, anyway, in light of that, I've chosen a poem that I wrote one year after (1987) I left Western Illinois University (WIU) in Macomb, Illinois in 1986, that went onto becoming not only one of my favorite poems that I've ever written, but most requested performance poem, not to mention the mini-opera song it later became! I'll be back online next week with more fun and fantastic stories from my trip and stories of my past at WIU. So with that dear readers, you are getting a real treat of a poem and of course, always, always, always, enjoy!!!

Myth Of A Dream Omitted From A Good Humor Truck

Coldness
Icycles foam from your mouth
Sleeping heavily five months or so
Warm shudders fill your trucknow idling in the alley
Dream of happy thought
Distribution of ice cream pops
To the little kids every spring and summer
And each season you went around
The children grew up faster than you ever did
Those same children gave their children, money for ice cream, pockets crammed with nickels And
Dimes
Little Stevie was the first customer there
He knew exactly when you chimed
Oh yes, those were the days
Of Frosty Malts, Dixie Cups and Blue & White trucks
You no longer idle in the alley
Mass marketing has made your life miserable
And the children, like the dream have melted into a puddle of
Blue
White
And
Red

No comments: