My journal of life and those lives that surround & influence me, both positively & negatively

Monday, October 3

Happy New Year!!! Welcome 5766!!!

At sundown this evening begins, Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year (5766), the real New Year (in my eyes).

I’ve been looking forward to the Jewish New Year for quite some time and for the past several weeks I’ve been trying to get my house organized so I can face the Jewish New Year with a sense of satisfaction, but even as I do this, there is always a last minute jolt that comes into my house, each and every year, and this year is no exception.

Usually when I clean house, I try to get rid of the most annoying habits and people for that matter too, habits and people who do nothing but gather dust in my home. I am aware of the 613 Jewish laws that exist in the Torah and like most Jewish folks I tend to break them over and over again. But it’s okay.

Yes, it’s okay if we break them, because we as human beings are not always perfect. Yes, it’s alright to feel a little guilt, but then it’s time to move on to the next issue and not continually rub it in someone’s face.

This Jewish New Year, I have vowed to throw away every piece of junk I don’t need; this includes friendships that aren’t going anywhere, personal habits that have faltered me for years & junk (trinkets/stray papers) that I hang onto for whatever reason and tell myself that I need it for whatever reason those will go too.

Although I have written my vows for this year, trying to keep a resolution is extremely difficult, if hard to abide by, but I will do the best I can, that’s all Ha-Shem expects of me.

This past year, there has been several blessings and new-founded happiness in my life this year such as my eye-opening trip to New York City this past spring & the return engagement I have next spring; The Quaker Baker; Bard Zimmerman, The Bliss Is Ignorance Twins; being published; continuing on with my studies as a throat-singer after almost giving up; my blog and my abilities to keep on writing; The Arizona Babe & Rex Pâtér Homo; Twitchy; Benjy; Zog-19 & family; Craigslist; Freecycle; Iris; Babyshoes; learning how to tap-dance and scores of other beautiful miracles that are too numerous to name that I have otherwise failed to mention in this space.

The negatives I care not to reveal, not yet anyway until perhaps Yom Kippur (October 13), the Day of Atonement, but as the old year winds down, I have taken all such negatives looked at them solidly and squarely in the face one final time, kissed them goodbye and have tossed them into a virtual slow-burning fire and will watch each and every one of those negatives burn into a fine powdery ash and evaporate into the atmosphere forever.

For those of you who are celebrating tonight and tomorrow and in the days that follow, have a sweet, safe and prosperous New Year!

No comments: