My journal of life and those lives that surround & influence me, both positively & negatively

Thursday, November 16

Now Appearing On YouTube: Sid Yiddish & A Cast Of Thousands





"YouTube is a popular free video sharing Web site which lets users upload, view, and share video clips. Founded in February 2005 by three employees of PayPal, the San Bruno-based service utilizes Adobe Flash technology to display video. The wide variety of site content includes movie and TV clips and music videos, as well as amateur content such as videoblogging. Currently staffed by 67 employees[1], the company was named TIME's "Invention of the Year" for 2006.[2] In October 2006, Google, Inc., announced that it had reached a deal to acquire the company for $1.65 billion USD in Google's stock, the deal closed on 13 November 2006..."--From A Wikipedia entry on YouTube

There’s this great little phenomenon called www.youtube.com which allows one to be an instant superstar via your digital camera or camcorder and I suspect it was only a matter of time before this next step in how to entertain the masses for free was coming.

I accidentally stumbled upon it one day, but discovered that it would be to my advantage to use it to gain ground and a new audience for my performance side and my newly created stage name, Sid Yiddish, as well as to push my blogspace, the one you are currently reading, http://themishegasmaster.blogspot.com just a touch more.

I can’t say whether or not more people are reading it or not, but I’ve gone back to a regular writing schedule since I returned from New York City a little over a month ago.

The first film I uploaded was a little home film I made specifically for my throat singing teacher for him to view and critique my throat singing skills this past July (2006). In the meantime I sent the film out to most of my friends and what comments came back were the usual ones I expected; words like “cool,” “freaky” and “priceless,” amongst others.

From there, I decided to test the waters of America and reach out to a wider audience and decided to upload the film to YouTube. I waited until mid-September (2006) to upload it and the results have been fantastic!

One week later, I followed it up with my super-mega throat singing hit “Mykel Board Weasel Squeezer” and let the chips fall wherever they decided to fall, as I left for New York City the following week.

My third and most current film I posted was a tiny five-second film of myself in a gorilla costume serenading a woman who is dressed in a leather Cat-Woman outfit at my workplace during a Halloween costume contest.

Due to the hype surrounding my costume and the hype I received shortly thereafter for my stage name Sid Yiddish (and that’s no lie), I’d say it’s my fastest viewed film to date on that I uploaded on YouTube.

The viewing stats for each film are astonishing to say the least for the little time period all three have been on YouTube.

Film three has been looked at 165 times, since November 1, for an average of 10.3125 views per day, while film two has been looked at 222 times since September 28, for an average of 4.72340426 views per day and film number one has been looked at 164 times since September 21, for an average of 3.03703704 views per day.

But besides my own films, one can find virtually any film on anyone on YouTube, anyone from the famous to infamous, to the virtual no-names (like so many thousands of us) to up-and-coming talents (again, like so many thousands of us).

YouTube is far more addicting than any chat-room or television program could be for me, granted I have four television sets collecting dust within my apartment.

In the last week or so, I’ve watched film clips of Groucho Marx, Muhammad Ali & Liberace, Jack Benny, Jack Kerouac, Howard Stern & Tom Snyder. Elvis Presley, Buddy Holly, Eddie Murphy, Little Richard, Tiny Tim, GG Allin & Jerry Springer, The Beatles, The Simpsons and countless others.

Anybody that you think of who might be on there is on there, even the most obscure person in the world is on there! It is totally amazing, really it is.

Do I have a follow-up film in the works? You betcha! Will I expand my horizons even further? You betcha!

In the meantime, if you haven’t seen any of my films, here are the links to all three, plus the film of my friend, the Howard Stern impersonator…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niEP2Y6t06E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-BnnztltTU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Yx631XwlzE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmQKD0HjgGY

Enjoy!

No comments: