My journal of life and those lives that surround & influence me, both positively & negatively

Wednesday, November 22

What I'm UnThankful For, Thanksgiving Eve, 2006

This being Thanksgiving Eve, Wednesday November 22nd (though I wrote this last Friday, November 17th), I thought it might be suitable to list what I’m unthankful for this year, as a sort of opposite to the whole “I’m so thankful for” biz we voice aloud on Thanksgiving Day at the dinner table.

Thinking about it over a course of a year or 365 days, take your pick, here’s what I’m truly unthankful for.

I’m unthankful that my relationship with Alice didn’t work out. I’m unthankful that my rent in my old apartment rocketed sky-high and caused me to move yet again, due to a paranoid world market. I’m unthankful for my new unfriendly neighbors who hide in their million-dollar mansions, who don’t come out of their dwellings to say hi, but let their dogs run loose at other citizens’ expense.

I’m unthankful for all 23 mice I had to endure over a course of a two-year period at my old apartment and all the unjust criticism I took as a result of it. I’m unthankful for being on the receiving end of much hatred & criticism of my faith from both strangers online and my immediate surroundings.

I’m unthankful that I held onto false friends for so long. I’m both unthankful that US armed forces still are situated in Iraq & that George Bush is still our President. I’m unthankful that CBGBs in New York City closed down this past October. I’m unthankful that the Evanston mayor doesn’t bother to show up at city council meetings, yet will show up at official city functions like ground-breakings or police academy graduations.

I’m unthankful that there’s still poverty and hunger in the world and still very little is being done about it. I’m unthankful that for expressing my opinions and standing my ground in what I say, feel or act upon and not getting the support, instead of hearing those who tell me I should refrain for their own personal fears of safety, myself being arrested, beaten up or dragged away from my home.

I’m unthankful that illegal immigrants get more sympathy and respect for wanting to stay in the United States without ever wanting to become American citizens.

I’m unthankful that I’m still undecided about my future. I’m unthankful that I carry with me some very deep and personal tragedies that will stay with me for a little while longer. I’m unthankful that my car radio busted on me this past summer. I’m unthankful that Terry Dickerson is no longer with us.

I’m unthankful for that gig in Seattle that fell through. I’m unthankful that some people still don’t *get* me. I’m unthankful for so many other things, people, places and objects that are too numerous to name.

As I stated earlier, I’m not airing out any dirty laundry or sour grapes. On the contrary, my declaring of being unthankful is a healthy way of getting the negatives out of my system once and for all.

All things must pass; pass away. And ultimately, they do.

No comments: