My journal of life and those lives that surround & influence me, both positively & negatively

Saturday, December 31

When No Means No, Plus Happy New Year Dear Readers

I sometimes don’t understand people; people who don’t know the meaning of the words “no” or “stop.” I know several such people I have crossed paths with over the past several months. One of these persons is none other than a woman I dated by the name of Peggy.

Peggy and I dated for a few months and everything seemed to be ebbing and flowing quite nicely, until one evening after a musical we saw together, A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum, I believe, when she decided to tell me something about herself that was in essence an earth-shattering event.

She wanted to tell me something, yet wanted to remain friends with me after the fact. Little did I know when I said yes to her request earlier in the evening over dinner, little did I know what she was going to tell me and when she told me, I just felt so angry and hurt and everything else combined that I had to fly away from her for some days at a time to think it over.

Of course, if you’ve been reading my blog regularly and past blogs, you’ve probably been able to figure out that Maggie and Margy are both the same woman, who is of course Peggy. As some of you might gather, I tend to keep my personal life open to a degree, as it does sometimes affect my entire life on a whole other level and it with some hope that you won't fall into some of the same queer twits like I do.

The thing is Peggy is still carrying on a secret love affair with a married man by the name of Steve, who lives in Aurora, a western suburb of Chicago. They’ve been “going together" for at least four years now, but who knows anything for certain.

Unbeknownst to many, she carries on this affair as if nobody knew; she has photographs of him in her car and even carries a CD full of phone messages from him. Kind of odd, don’t you think? I certainly do.

According to what she told me at the time, let’s see if I have this straight, oh yeah…they meet clandestine inside her little white car once a week at her place of work. He’ll come down to her office as she doesn’t really go to his home; it’s rather impossible, if you catch my drift!

On the Jewish personals website where I met her on or found her profile earlier this year (http://www.jewishcafe.com/), rather, she says that her favorite place to vacation is Fort Lauderdale, Florida, the same exact place she meets her lover Steve once a year during the summer for a couple of weeks. So that’s it, huh? That’s very nice; very clever; very ingenious of her, don’t you think?

And here she was telling me about this guy, who isn’t even Jewish; I bet her teenage daughter didn’t even know about that now, did she?

It is awfully odd that she claimed to have had a previous abusive marriage (so she told me), like most Modern Orthodox women I have come to know. Most of them stay in those situations, why, I don’t know, but I suppose it’s the convenience factor, I’m not really sure, but back to the story.

One night, when I came over to the place where she was living temporarily at the time (her home had been previously damaged by fire earlier in the springtime), she had to take a phone call, when she came back Peggy looked rather harried. Later, I was told that a friend of hers had a heart attack.

Of course, that friend turned out to be Steve.

Well, I guess the love affair isn’t so secret after all; I guess Steve’s children resent her for good reason, had to tell Peggy what happened to their father (Steve), yet it was their father (Steve) who had to tell his children to call her up and give her the terrible news.

I didn’t know any of this until this surfaced the night of the big event.

There would be times during our brief courtship that Steve would call Peggy in the middle of dates, leaving a message here or there stating that “he loved her” and she passed it off as if it was nothing. Peggy claimed that she was trying to get out of the relationship with him, but since Steve “touched her soul,” so she said, she couldn’t really help it.

Yeah right.

Then came a week in September; for some odd reason Peggy claimed to have been busy through an email, but I knew better; I knew something was wrong and it was so heart-wrenching to hear her call me at work after Labor Day in the morning when she told me “I want you to walk away,” her version of telling someone to get lost, when in reality she was the one that left me in the dust to choke to begin with.

So I said to myself, okay, fine and I let it go. The sadness and anger set it almost immediately and while I tried not to show it at work, some days it became a little too much for me and most of my friends and other co-workers saw fit to take care of me; they fed me lots of chocolate, hugs, love and warmth, most of all, they made me smile through my tears and I appreciated that.

But then a funny thing happened. A few weeks later, Peggy started making contact with me again through emails and I didn’t understand why if she had just broken up with me, why the heck was she making contact with me and open up a fresh wound all over again?

So I wrote her back and told her to stop contacting me forever. And you know something? This time it worked! I was happy and I could move on to greener pastures. Sure I thought about her, but it was more in the anger state and like most other ex-girlfriends, she faded to black.

Everything was fine until this past week, when I happened to be back the aforementioned Jewish website, when I found an email addressed to me…from guess who???

Peggy! It was Peggy’s little email wishing me a happy birthday. The message stated the following words: “hoping all your dreams come true in the coming year.” Does she have a kook wish or something? I told her to stop contact forever and yet she persisted and thought she’d be clever and send an email to a site where I rarely get to these days.

Peggy just doesn’t get it, does she? When I say “stop contacting me forever,” I mean STOP CONTACTING ME FOREVER! But does she get it? Of course not! She thought she was so clever going into a secluded area where I rarely travel to and leave a message for me!

Oh Peggy! Are you that dense! If I say stop bothering me, I mean stop bothering me!

Let’s see how long this lasts.

I’ll be taking off from blogging for the next two days, just relaxing and getting ready for a brand new year, so I hope to see all of you sobered up ready to rock and roll next Tuesday night!

And finally, my dear readers, I have a special message for you: Happy New Year to you one and all, good will to hens (Ya hear that Moonbeam?), hope to see you all ‘round the blog fire next year. Party hearty, but above all be safe and happy. Good luck in health, wealth and happiness in 2006!

No comments: