My journal of life and those lives that surround & influence me, both positively & negatively

Wednesday, April 5

With Compliments From The Senator

My mom, The Arizona Babe and another lady, not far from The Valley Of Golden Happiness, have been teaching a United States Citizenship class for the past month and a half with much enthusiasm and excitement.

A few weeks ago, The Arizona Babe reached out to me for help. She told me that she wanted to give her students little study incentives such as American flag stickers for their gallant efforts in their quest to becoming American citizens of this sovereign nation of ours, but was having extreme bad luck.

It seems that when she called her U. S. Senator’s office, who is none other than John McCain, wealthy Republican, Vietnam veteran poster boy and potential presidential candidate, his office couldn’t help her. They told her that they had nothing to spare and suggested she buy items from a pricelist of items and other propaganda they offered up to her.

So she turned to her middle son, The MishegasMaster (me) for help and hoped that he could help her out. As we spoke on the phone, I went over the trusty Internet to see what we could scarf up together and after cross-referencing several words and coming up virtually empty, we decided together that I should contact my local U.S. Senator’s office, which was formerly her Senator’s office, before she moved to Arizona back in 2001 with Rex Pater Homo.

“Leave it to me,” I told The Arizona Babe. And that’s exactly what she did.

The next morning I called U.S. Senator Dick Durbin’s office in Chicago, who referred me onto their Washington, D.C. office with the same request.

When I called the D.C. office, I was referred to a kind woman named Lexie, who once I explained my dilemma to (without mentioning McCain’s office response at first), she asked me a few questions about The Arizona Babe’s class and promised to get back to me that afternoon.

Sure enough, Lexie called me back that afternoon and kept her promise. As I expressed my gratitude to Lexie, I explained to her that not only was The Arizona Babe formerly of the state of Illinois, but told her of the trouble she encountered with McCain’s office.

It was right about then I declared, “That’s why we love our Illinois senators,” to which Lexie responded, “That’s what we like to hear.” Lexie promised to me what she had would arrive in a couple of days.

Earlier this week, I received two big brown envelopes containing several pocket-sized editions of the U.S. Constitution & the Declaration of Independence. Meanwhile, I had posted an advertisement on the Chicago version of Craigslist (www.craigslist.com) to see if we could perhaps get some American flag stickers for her class.

It wasn’t but a few hours later, when I received an email from a nice lady named Kathy who told me she had some stickers and would be happy to send them along to me in the mail, which I received a day after the items from Senator Durbin’s office had arrived.

You see my dear friends; there are people out there who are willing to help one another without payback or reward. Rather their reward is satisfaction and joy of helping others out. It is nice to know that there are wonderful people in the world like Kathy and Lexie to help out folks like myself and The Arizona Babe.

Sharing with others is a good feeling. Helping out your fellow neighbor is even more wonderful than you may ever realize. Try it sometime; you might enjoy it. Most of all, thanks to people like The Arizona Babe and her teacher friend, there are more potential citizens who can join America with a sense of pride and good patriotic spirits.

Isn’t that what sharing is all about?