My journal of life and those lives that surround & influence me, both positively & negatively

Monday, February 13

Tales From The Desert>Act Three-Trinkets From The Traveler

Since the beginning of time man and woman have collectively inherited trinkets, small or big. The first trinkets could have been a rock, a handful of grass, leaves or a piece of fruit. Travelers often bring back little gifts or trinkets from a place where they have either previously visited.

They tend to buy these things commonly called souvenirs or mementos, as a way to remember a particularly happy or harmonious time spent, wherever they have traveled to. Sometimes, they will bring home these remembrances to family and friends.

When I first began taking family vacations, mostly throughout the Midwest as a teenager, I would pick up little things like snow-globes, tee shirts, mugs, ball-caps, key chains, you know, the usual rubbish. And as always, one of my friends wanted what I had, so I would promise to get them something similar next time I traveled to that particular place.

I suspect that’s how trinket shops sprang up across the universe to sell their mutant wares to suckers like me. A cheap plastic toy made in China no doubt often breaks in a matter of moments if it played with or picked up more often than normal; so what to do? Buy a whole boxful of the said junk.

When I began traveling on my own in the middle 1980s, I didn’t often pick up too many things to bring home, other than newspapers, magazines and maybe some extra camera film. As I grew older and made more friends, dating women and stayed on friendly terms with my family, I brought home stuff for them.

Lord only knows as the MishegasMaster, having traveled the world from throughout the USA to Canada and England, I’ve picked up lots of little trinkets for family, friends and girlfriends and of course, myself.

When I lived with roommates, I used to buy them little gifts, as they felt like extended family to me. And believe me, people love getting stuff, even if it’s small, meaningless and miniscule too.

Strangely enough, it’s the thought that counts. Have any of you noticed that not many people do that sort of thing anymore, that is bring you a trinket when they least expect it. Writing postal cards is also considered a treasured gift, far more than the trinket itself.

Some people even appreciate the stories you bring back when you’ve returned from your journey and of course, stories tend to age like fine wine or natural cheese.

It is often said that beauty is in the eye of the beholder or that one man’s junk is another man’s treasure.

Travelling is like that sometimes.